Monday, September 26, 2011

Revisiting a Memory

It started to rain today and for the first time it really hit me that Fall is now here. It's not to hard to figure that out here in the Pacific North-West but nonetheless the early yet unseeingly events of this beautiful day thus far, has happily driven me to revisit a memory. 
When I first moved to Tacoma and was forced to pinch some major penny's I had no internet access. Instead I would stroll over on a lazy Sunday afternoon to 30th Street Tully's and spend the better half of an afternoon catching up on a week's worth of old emails and (then) Myspace and Facebook posts. It became something I looked forward to and that identified who I was for a period of time in my life. The same group of people would greet me behind the counter every Sunday, I got to know a little about their personalities. There was a group of three siblings that met there every Sunday and I got to know who they were as well. In that small ritual grew familiarity in a strange and new city.
Today, there was no internet available in my building and I had the brief moment of genius to go back to Tully's and grab a drink. I did get my usual, Ginger Peach tea, but my maple bar wasn't there. New faces smiled from behind the counter, and no one knew me in the slightest. I sat down in the seat I use to fill on Sunday's, took out my laptop and sat to think about all the experiences a span of five short years has given me.
Make no mistake, I've been progressively living the best years of my life. I have no desire or longing to relive the past. Yet, unexpectedly today, reliving a simple routine just one more time flooded my mind with gratefulness to where I am, and to where I am going. 


I invite you all to relive a memory every now and then. It conjures up hope for the future. Happy Fall!

~La Femme, Cynthia

No comments:

Post a Comment